Care For Your Opal Gemstone
There are different care instructions for Solid Opals as opposed to Doublet and Triplet Opal Gemstones. Solid Opals will never be damaged by water as the stone is 100% natural. Doublets and Triplets on the other hand have artificial backings and have been treated and/or glued together causing lift over time. A such, these Opals need to be kept out of water as to avoid water penetration. Most recently, Jewellers have begun using UV light which glues them together creating a more stable Opal.
When wearing any type of Opal stone (Solid, Doublet or Triplet), please be sure to avoid bleach, chemicals, cleaners and any other non-natural substance. Cleaning your Opal Jewelry doesn’t require any special accessories or appliances. A bowl of water with mild detergent will do the trick!. To clean behind the stone you can use a soft toothbrush but don’t scrub too hard as this could scratch the stone. Scrub gently and then rinse. Dry gently using a nub free, 100% cotton cloth.
As with any precious gemstone, It is possible for the Opal to scratch or crack if not properly cared for or dropped. To avoid damaging the Opal stone, take it off if you are doing any sort of work or activity that could bring the stone in contact with hard surfaces. A flick of the wrist in the wrong direction could chip it or if gardening, the stone could scratch against a rock.
Other Handy Tips:
Always store your gemstones separately to avoid scratches from harder gems. If possible, store each piece in a separate box. Opal can easily be scratched by pin stems and the edges of other jewelry. Protect your stone by wrapping it in jeweler's tissue and storing them separately.
Put Jewelry on after applying makeup. Jewelry should always be the last item to be put on and the first to be removed. This is to avoid jewelry coming into contact with perfume or hairspray.
Wearing jewelry while swimming should always be avoided. The chlorine in the water can damage jewelry and react with the metals causing color changes and even structural damage.
When performing manual tasks, remove your jewelry to prevent physical damage or exposure to chemicals or cleaning fluids. Some tasks that should be avoided when wearing jewelry include kitchen work, gardening, cleaning the house and other common tasks.
Always remove rings and fine jewelry before using any product that contains bleach. Bleach can also cause gold and other metal alloys to deteriorate, leaving the metal irreparably damaged. Never use bleach to clean jewelry.
Never use toothpaste or other abrasives to clean metal or stones is it can scuff or damage the surface resulting in the fine polish which was produced by the skilled lapidary to be permanently marred.
Along with protecting your Opal Gemstone, it’s important to take care of the setting within which your stone is set. Any metals (including silver and gold) can oxidise and/or tarnish during normal wear over time. This includes settings, stud backings and chains.